Intellectual Property Policy
CoreNet Global Policy for the Shared Use and Protection of Intellectual Property as approved by the CoreNet Global Board at the San Diego 2008 Board meeting
The primary goals of CoreNet Global's Intellectual Property Policy (“Policy”) are to:
A. Foster an environment that supports maintaining open knowledge sharing and development with CoreNet Global members, the corporate real estate industry, non-Governmental Organizations, the government and the public.
B. Optimize the availability of, and dissemination of, relevant information to CoreNet Global members, the corporate real estate industry, non-Governmental Organizations, the government and the public.
C. Foster the continuing development of Information for the benefit of CoreNet Global members, the corporate real estate industry, non-Governmental Organizations, the government and the public.
D. Support the corporate real estate industry's commitment to be a responsible “citizen” and be responsive to the public (i.e., its "social responsibility").
E. For certainty and to avoid confusion, specify and protect intellectual property ownership interests.
F. Copyrights and other intellectual property rights of third parties are to be respected and not infringed by CoreNet Global or any of its members, the corporate real estate industry, non-Governmental Organizations, the government and the public.1
Consequently, CoreNet Global's Policy is that any protected intellectual property2 brought to CoreNet Global by any party3, for individual distribution, use with or incorporation into additional research or a compilation4 project, shall remain the property of the party holding the intellectual property rights. Despite intellectual property ownership residing with the submitting party, that owner must be willing to “freely” and openly share his/her submission with CoreNet Global, with proper attribution and recognition to the owner.
Any uniquely created intellectual property that is funded in any measure by CoreNet Global, created by or within CoreNet Global5, or resulting from the efforts of CoreNet Global(e.g., compilations of intellectual property or work submitted) shall be owned by CoreNet Global with proper credit being delivered to the participants. Despite intellectual property ownership residing with CoreNet Global, CoreNet Global shall “freely” and openly share the intellectual property with all creative, contributing participants.
Revenue derived by CoreNet Global from any activity hereunder shall be recommitted to the fulfillment of the Organization's nonprofit purposes.
- Although it is understood by all that CoreNet Global's obligation to “police” such activity is limited to those parties directly involved in CoreNet Global and with whom CoreNet has some contractual relationship.
- Any unique or original expression or work capable of protection under the Copyright Act of 1976 (and subsequent amendments).
- With the party seeking such ownership recognition having the affirmative obligation to claim such as early as possible in the involvement of the intellectual property in CoreNet Global's use.
- A “compilation” is a work formed by the collection and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship. The term “compilation” includes collective works.
- Examples of such would be Committees, Task Forces, Communities or collaborative efforts between various parties brought together within and by CoreNet Global.